At Maddux Orthodontics, we know you love your kids. We also understand that you work hard to provide a good foundation in life, so they have the best start possible. There are many benefits to a healthy, straight smile, one being that a smile helps your child feel good about themselves as they grow, learn, and interact with their peers.
American Association of Orthodontists Recommendation
Did you know that the American Association of Orthodontists recommends that you take your child to see a qualified orthodontist before the age of 7?
That’s because a trained orthodontist can pick up on subtle issues related to bone growth and development, and spot potential concerns with the way emerging teeth are coming in, even if your child still has their baby teeth. In addition, although a child’s teeth may appear straight, there can be problems that only a trained orthodontist can spot.
These may include:
- Extra space between erupted teeth
- Overbite, underbite or crossbite
- Missing teeth
- Protruding teeth (also called buck teeth)
- Overcrowded teeth
- Narrow lower or upper jaw
Benefits of Early Treatment
By intervening early with appropriate treatment, your orthodontist can minimize problems before they become more complicated. Even if early treatment is not required, spotting issues early allows the doctor to monitor the growth and development of your child’s teeth, so that any necessary treatment can begin at the ideal time.
Direct positive results of early treatment can include:
- Adding additional space so permanent teeth can come in with better positioning
- Creating a more symmetrical face by influencing jaw development and growth
- Lessening the risk of trauma to protruding teeth
- Lowering the need for removing teeth due to spacing
- Reducing the treatment time for braces
- A happier, healthier child